Who’s not sleeping well at the moment? Understandably with the concerns of COVID 19, global warming, all the uncertainty in life, being constantly bombarded with social media and the day to day pressures of living. It can be overwhelming, agitating, stressful and exhausting. Consequently, when we try to sleep, we are extremely stimulated, trying to counteract the worries of the day and the sensory information overload which is all around us.
Sleep comes before anything. One cannot rationally function without it. The only thing that trumps it is breath – however that’s an article for another day. Sleep is selfcare. We need to learn to love sleep.
Implementing sleep strategies can enable quality sleep. You can be in bed for 8 hours, yet toss and turn all night, it’s all about achieving deep sleep. Try these strategies before you go to bed:
- Turn your mobile phone off at least 2 hours before bed
- Have a bath or shower a good hour before bed
- Stop drinking coffee after 12 noon
- Do a brain dump – write down what’s in your head
- Rub lavender oil into the soles of your feet
- Read something non-stimulating before you turn off the light